New Boat Questions.....

Due to recent spam, you must be a registered member to post.

New Boat Questions.....

Postby allwalleye » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Hello,

I am looking into a new boat. Lund, Crestliner, or Starcraft. Alumacraft in the mix also, G3?. Any input from the guys out there using these boats? Also, I am really having a hard time deciding what length to get. I know I at least want a 17 foot, but any input into bigger size?? I will be fishing Roosevelt most of the time.......thanks for any input you can give me.
allwalleye

Re: New Boat Questions.....

Postby mnwilly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 pm

allwalleye,

I have owned Lunds for 30+ years. I really think Lunds are better boats with better resale but I can't prove any of that! Sounds like you are looking for a console boat. If that's the case check out the new Lund impact. Lots of sizes to choose from - 1675, 1775, 1875. Comes in an SS model which has a single drivers side console and a Sport model with full walkthrough windshield. SS of course has more fishable space but less protection in bad weather. The pricing on this boat is supposed to be very good and there is a few hundred dollar incentive for the next couple months.

http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/revi ... mpact_1875

Of course Lund has many boats bigger and more pricier. I have owned 2 PRO-Vs and loved both them but they are pricey. I also have buddies that run Alumacraft Tournament PROs - very nice boat and excellent quality.

Lund blew it the last few years by pre-rigging and pushing Mercury motors. Well they listened to the market and now advertise "with the motor of your choice". I personally recommend Suzuki's with Yahama's a close second only because of their bigger weight and footprint.

Take your time and get exactly what you want and can afford. It's out there so enjoy finding it. Love shopping for new boats! In fact I just bought a new Lund 1600 Fury yesterday. Picking it up in Yakima next weekend on the way to Rufus OR.
Minnesota Displaced Walleye Fisherman
mnwilly

Postby wa_walleye » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 am

I love my lunds, 1775 tiller and 1700 fisherman that I currently own. I have fished in lots of boat also. The think I have learned is once you get to a certain level of quality it becomes about performance and layout. Ride wise I like the ranger, (have not fished out of fiberglass lund yet). I however do not like the layout. For what I do and what I fish in MOST of the time I prefer what I have for the price. I will probably always own to two boats (at least). At the moment I want the ride of the ranger, boat control of the warrior tiller, the sides and depths of 20 foot lund fisherman, the batteries moved to the back, huge livewell in the back, 8 foot in floor rod storage, windshield forward like fishermen and skeeter walleye boat, full enclosure like the sleds which leave room to fight a fish in the back, speed of a bass boat to do 80 mph in tournaments and last but not least the I want it for 30K or less...
wa_walleye

Postby BradinaLund » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:19 am

Brian, let me know when you find "that" boat for under 30k, I'll be all over it!
BradinaLund

Postby T-Mac » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:16 am

wa_walleye wrote:I love my lunds, 1775 tiller and 1700 fisherman that I currently own. I have fished in lots of boat also. The think I have learned is once you get to a certain level of quality it becomes about performance and layout. Ride wise I like the ranger, (have not fished out of fiberglass lund yet). I however do not like the layout. For what I do and what I fish in MOST of the time I prefer what I have for the price. I will probably always own to two boats (at least). At the moment I want the ride of the ranger, boat control of the warrior tiller, the sides and depths of 20 foot lund fisherman, the batteries moved to the back, huge livewell in the back, 8 foot in floor rod storage, windshield forward like fishermen and skeeter walleye boat, full enclosure like the sleds which leave room to fight a fish in the back, speed of a bass boat to do 80 mph in tournaments and last but not least the I want it for 30K or less...

Just a dose of reality, Brian: You won't ever get good boat control with high sides and complete enclosures unless it is dead still. :mrgreen:
T-Mac

Postby fishing-n-grinnin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm

There is a "new model" lund out there for under 30k, don't know much about it.
fishing-n-grinnin

Postby Olyolson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Lund Impact. Look at the Explorers. They have a very nice layout.
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand
Life’s disappointments are harder to take when you don’t know any swear words
Deer antler spray test subject
FAWC security/limo driver
www.markolsonguideservice.com
Olyolson

Postby wa_walleye » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:03 pm

T-Mac wrote: Just a dose of reality, Brian: You won't ever get good boat control with high sides and complete enclosures unless it is dead still. :mrgreen:

I used to believe that until watching Touche' Clark in action. If you ever have the time go fish with him he guides down below John Day dam and any time I think I have good boat control I remember what I have seen him do in a 25 foot in winds up to 30 mph. I still have a long was to go...

wa_walleye

Postby info197176 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:11 am

I bought a 2010 Explorer Sport last year and love it!! It is the most fishable platform I have ever owned.
info197176

Postby CATMAN » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 am

You should have been fishing out of it last weekend :lol: We missed you guys.
CATMAN

Postby wa_walleye » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 am

allwalleye,

What features are you looking for? What do you want for top speed? You going to beach it alot? Fish by yourself alot. What is your typical fishing situation?
wa_walleye

Postby Terry Connolleye » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 am

I am a big fan of the Pro V, I like the lower sides which keeps the boat down out of the wind and allows you to reach down into the water and grab fish easily - my tiller is the best layout I have fished out of - canopies and windshields are nice duirng the cold weather for sure but are aslo a huge Pain in the ass during a breezy outing or worse, I just jump into another boat with a buddy if winter fishing is on the menu, I have an entire football field of room it feels like - plenty of storage, and because it is a tiller - fish jump in the danged thing!! I do not miss the steering wheel aspect one bit in fact I enjoy the control of the tiller - just my opinion - most boats on the market today have options that set them apart. Enjoy your search!!
Work is always getting in the way of my fishing?
Terry Connolleye

Postby info197176 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 pm

CATMAN wrote:You should have been fishing out of it last weekend :lol: We missed you guys.

One of us had to plow roads, the other had to keep school going after one lost day. :oops:
info197176

Postby CATMAN » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:30 pm

I just hope the one plowing roads, at least broke something, I have to make a living too :lol:
CATMAN

Postby allwalleye » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:41 pm

wa_walleye wrote:allwalleye,

What features are you looking for? What do you want for top speed? You going to beach it alot? Fish by yourself alot. What is your typical fishing situation?

I mainly will be fishing roosevelt, with my 2 daughters. Currently we are fishing an old 63 starcraft with 20hp motor. The main two problems I have are driving a long distance to fish and having the wind come up and blow us off the water, and not being able to cover lot's of water. Of course with 3 people in the boat it's really tight. Also, my kids would like to be pulled on the tubes during dog days of summer.

I am really not sure what features I am looking for, looking for guidance.

I would like to go about 40 or more.....

Thanks for all the input guys!!!!
allwalleye

Next

Return to General Discussion